Red Dwarf

Talk about other science fiction and fantasy.

Moderators: systemcat, ramoth

Red Dwarf

Postby systemcat » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:23 pm

Just wondering how many others have seen Red Dwarf and what do you think of this show if you've watched it? Nutty characters & episodes, got a cool eight seasons or series before it canceled.

Erin :cat:
systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ladyfreebird » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:23 pm

Sorry to say, I didn't get to see it. [depri] I heard it was pretty good though.

graylady
ladyfreebird
Fighter Falcon
Fighter Falcon

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:23 pm

Red Dwarf had to be one of the funniest TV series I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I've yet to see the final byte (they referred to each season as a "byte") but I own bytes 2-7 on DVD.

If anyone gets the chance, I recommend skipping Byte 1 and going directly to 2. My reason? Simple- the show had to get its sea legs, so to speak, and the first season had slightly underdeveloped characters. By Byte 2, the show's cast & crew really had it going, IMO. :laughing5:
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:42 pm

What's IMO mean?

Season, series, byte whatever people want to call it for the eighth season it's great. Well done but odd from the rest of the series due to the whole Red Dwarf crew is in it but Peterson. Rimmer has the best line at the end of the series in my opinion.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:43 pm

systemcat wrote:What's IMO mean?

In My Opinion. (I like to make sure no one thinks I'm a self-proclaimed authority.)

You'll also see variants like IMHO (In My Honest Opinion) and IMPO (In My Professional Opinion)

Chris Barrie was awesome as Rimmer. At first I didn't care for him, but as time passed it became pretty clear that he was one of the most talented people in the cast- that in no way belittles everyone else; I just grew to love hating that smeghead git.
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:51 pm

In another website there is a forum named "Rimmer Addicts Anonymous". I think that right there says how good a job Barrie did at the role.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tron » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:03 am

I watched one episode of red dwarf. it was mind numbingly boring. But after hearing about it on alex jones and people telling me a few episodes did kinda suck. I think I'll give it a second chance.
<Please don't censor my signature, systemcat.>
tron
Fighter Pilot
Fighter Pilot

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:43 pm

tron wrote:I watched one episode of red dwarf. it was mind numbingly boring.

I'm a sucker for Brit-Coms. I walked in on half an episode of Absolutely Fabulous and took to it immediately. :laughing5:
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Bexter » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:21 am

Thought i'd check out this thread and Red Dwarf just jumped out of me. I love this show. Have quite a lot of it to catch up on though. Somone mentioned above they love Brit sit-coms and this one is sci-fi as well my too fave things in the world so of course i just had to love it.
Lord Percy: "Sorry I'm late"
Lord Blackadder: "Oh Don't bother apologising, I'm sorry your alive"
Random avatar
Bexter
Colonel
Colonel

Postby systemcat » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:28 pm

It's the only TV show that for it's DVDs I got about half the day they were released. The other half I didn't know the show was out yet on DVD.

Has any one read the books?

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bexter » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:31 am

I have never read any of the book, in fact, even though i have Red Dwarf on DVD I haven't even watched them all yet. I just do not have the time 'cause hubby doesn't watch them and the only time i watch anything on TV is when we sit down about 9.30pm and watch one ep of something we both like. I'm sure I'll get a chance one day, when my dream comes true and my husband joins the RAAF and I can be a mum and not a full time worker/mum of 3 kids/juggling expert and we won't be under so much financial pressure. However in the mean time, what i have seen i love!! One day when i get the chance I'll read a Red Dwarf book. Any recommendations?
Random avatar
Bexter
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Bexter » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:33 am

Also, I just want to say... I really love this website. So much more laid back than others, much more areas to discuss things in. Exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you Thank you Thank you Systemcat for letting me know about it.
Random avatar
Bexter
Colonel
Colonel

Postby systemcat » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:14 pm

Welcome welcome :color: . There aren't many Buck Rogers based forums on the net so I'm proud I started one. I think it's due to the lack of others being around this forum acts the way it does. That and lots of Yahoo groups ( a few of which I'm a member of ).

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bexter » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:29 pm

systemcat wrote:I think it's due to the lack of others being around this forum acts the way it does. That and lots of Yahoo groups ( a few of which I'm a member of ).

Probably! I'm not trying to bag Al's Place, its a excellent website, however the posters are a little on the serious side at times. I've tried to lighten things up but mostly get ignored when I do. I've noticed the more fun members don't post as much as they did when I first arrived. Maybe the fault is mine. I'm not as serious as I should be [bigsmile]. If you want to move these posts from my thank you above to General Chat, please do, I should have posted it there in the first place. sorry! [depri] I love these smilies. [ok]
Random avatar
Bexter
Colonel
Colonel

Postby systemcat » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:45 pm

I'm fine with Al's Place, there's only one member I don't like at that's it. The rest are ok and good posters however that one ... is full of themself. I avoid topics this person tackies ..I should say attacks not tackles.

Thanks about the smilies comment :toothy4: . I swear this forum must be setting a record for how many smilies it has. I want people to express themselfs as much as they feel like here.
:bunny: :coffee: :sign1: :oh: :Ac :rapidash: :hiding: :idea1:
Won't move these posts so long as the posting goes back to the topic shortly. Speaking of which, the first Red Dwarf book is great. Listened to the second one as a non-computer made audio book years ago. In the end it acts like in a sense it should be the final book but it isn't. Has a happy .. odd ending though, won't say more than that. Clueless as to how good the other books are though. I should warn these books take well known bits from the episodes and mess around with them. You won't mind recognizing them due to a lot of extra content & laughs. ...I wonder if they're any Red Dwarf smilies out there.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Other Science Fiction and Fantasy