jassian Productions and the 26th Century

This is where you can talk about the shows.

Moderators: systemcat, ramoth

Postby jassian » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:24 am

Yeah the black background helps ! [ok]

I was actually refering to the txt alignment on the entire site.

You are using a table I see, but have you considered
<Table width=800 align=center border=0> (with left align within the TD of course)? It would be more backwards compatible with old 800x600 resolutions (although I admit you don't see them often) and it would appear a touch more 'professional'. Or something similar? width=80% perhaps? It looks a bit odd that the text runs all the way to the edges of the screen.

Also even though the yellow and blue contrast the background very well (except for were it goes over the purple part, maybe we could have a black background again) it does so almost too well, it's really tiresome for my eyes to read the text.

That might just my experience though.
Would you allow me me to send you a suggestion for a modified layout? See how you like it? If you don't that's completely up to you of course. :) let me know if you're interested
jassian
Captain
Captain

Re: jassian Productions and the 26th Century

Postby systemcat » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:08 am

For making the coding work across multiple browsers, that's some thing I'd like to know. Currently the site only shows up right in IE and the same issue can be said for FTA. ..This is learned would involve reformatting the site I think ;).

Erin :cat:
systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jassian » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:15 pm

I was just going to go straight into the html code.
I normally didn't have any problems if I stuck to really standard coding.
What seems to be wrong when you use other browsers?

I'll play with a few options at home.. when my essay's done :) and put them on a test page.
Then we can test how it looks on different browsers and all.

Again, if you're interested, if not, just tell me to shut up :)
8)
jassian
Captain
Captain

Postby systemcat » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:12 pm

When roaming the site a special cursor replaces your normal one (not shown through Firefox and Netscape). ...Can yuh guess where that idea came from :P ? And the gallery's links all slide to one side when not using IE.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jassian » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:45 am

I'll try to see what's up with the gallery links. Not sure if I know how to fix the cursor though :(
( I like the cursor! :) )
jassian
Captain
Captain

Postby jassian » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:07 am

Please check out this site.

http://jassian.com/Buck%20Rogers/BR26suggestion.html

I pretty much recoded the whole thing for easier maintainance.
I kept the links as they were so if you want to use it you can just replace the old file with this one. The font size and color options are right on top so you (or I if you prefer) can change it there for the whole site.
i moved the code for the cursor into the <head> section. It was in the <body> section before this may have been the problem.

The flash in the middle made it really hard to read the text so I placed it around it. Still not happy with the font color, it's still a bit harsh on the eyes, what do you think?

If and once you're happy with the changes I can apply them to the other pages on your site as well.

it's still your site, and if you prefer it the old way let me know. I think this looks a bit tighter though.

:)
jassian
Captain
Captain

Postby ohboy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:23 am

Personally, it looks very well-organized. I like it, Jassian.
"Wahahahaha! Ladies and gentlemen, your attention. please. The name's Wily! The one and only -- the brilliant scientist, Dr. Wily! It may seem rather sudden to you, but I've decided I'd like to take over the world! (Laughs) Ahem! Anyway, to begin... Dr. Light! I'll be taking your precious robots!!" - in the beginning of Mega Man: Powered Up (Quote from Wikipedia)

Breath of Fire III is a registered trademark of Capcom. Picture from rpgdreamer.com. Thanks to fellow member jerriecan for editing picture to fix the pixel requirements for the avatar.
ohboy
Nova Fleet Two Commander
Nova Fleet Two Commander

Postby systemcat » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:40 am

Interesting look Jess, no one has ever taken an interest in the site's coding before in this way except for me. 8)

While I like it that you have taken an interest in it it looks like it's for a computer with a higher screen size. It shoots off the screen to me and the links are hard to read. As I said I like the effort. The paragraph idea is neat with how the story links are on the other side for quick access.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jassian » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:30 pm

I think it would be nice to have the site polished in time for the convention. :)Are you interested in using this?

If so, in a few quick notes what has to be changed?

Make the link color brighter?

Should the main text color or size be changed?

Please explain how it 'shoots off the screen'.
What screen size/resolution are you using?
What I tried to do was to stop the text from going all the way to the edge,
as that looked pretty bad on my screen.
jassian
Captain
Captain

Postby systemcat » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:40 am

That's a good idea because your right. I'm betting due to the video people some will come over for a look.

If you look at the encoding on the home page that should explain the coloring behind the links. I know some websites have adjusting for different screen sizes automatically but I don't know how to encode it. Think it might take a knowledge of CSS which I don't have. If I jump up the screen size on my computer to the next one up it's nearly imposable for me to read any thing. The website was coded for the size stated on the home page, FTA is the same way. Wish I could do the resizing trick.

Did you code your site Jess? If you mentioned that in Al's already I'm sorry that I've forgotten, been awhile since I looked at that topic. Yuh did a good job if you were behind it's coding.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jassian » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:09 am

yep I coded all of it except for parts of the gallery, well I could have, but I ran out of time so a friend helped me with that one.
Thanks, I'm glad you like it. :D

i will try to look at it in 800x 600 resolution and see what happens. i know a little bit about css, maybe i can find out how to do it. 8) Otherwise, you're right, we should optimize for 800x600. I though I had done so, but I'll double check (actually change my resolotion)

My normal resolution is rather high 1152 x 864 and it looks pretty good.
I think a lot of people have higher resolution these days.

Ohboy, do you happen to know your resolution? Did it look alright on yours?

Erin, could you do me a favor? Could I have a print screen of what it looks like on your screen, in both sizes you mentioned? That will give me a better picture of what's going wrong . :)
jassian
Captain
Captain

Re:

Postby ohboy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:17 am

jassian wrote:Ohboy, do you happen to know your resolution? Did it look alright on yours?

I'm afraid that I do not know. I clicked on "properties' in the right-moust click menu, but the only thing that I have gotten was 5164 bytes. However, everything looked very organized on mine, and while I had to scroll up and down, everything fit from the left side of the page to the right side of the page, meaning that the page didn't need to scroll left or right.

I hope my descrption wasn't too confusing.
"Wahahahaha! Ladies and gentlemen, your attention. please. The name's Wily! The one and only -- the brilliant scientist, Dr. Wily! It may seem rather sudden to you, but I've decided I'd like to take over the world! (Laughs) Ahem! Anyway, to begin... Dr. Light! I'll be taking your precious robots!!" - in the beginning of Mega Man: Powered Up (Quote from Wikipedia)

Breath of Fire III is a registered trademark of Capcom. Picture from rpgdreamer.com. Thanks to fellow member jerriecan for editing picture to fix the pixel requirements for the avatar.
ohboy
Nova Fleet Two Commander
Nova Fleet Two Commander

Postby jassian » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:32 pm

could you try

Start
Control Panel
Appearance and Themes
Display

will pop up a window.

it should have a tab saying Settings and there it should have your resolution just below a control to adjust it.

I checked 800 x 600 and saw what happened, It should be easy enough to adjust in the coding.
I'll probably do that today.
jassian
Captain
Captain

Postby systemcat » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:29 pm

I know how to reset the screen resolution but my eyes can't take it being higher but thanks any way. At it all text becomes very difficult for me to see.

Here are the requested screen shots:

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:

Postby ohboy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:02 pm

jassian wrote:could you try

Start
Control Panel
Appearance and Themes
Display

will pop up a window.

it should have a tab saying Settings and there it should have your resolution just below a control to adjust it.

I checked 800 x 600 and saw what happened, It should be easy enough to adjust in the coding.
I'll probably do that today.

1024 by 768 pixels. I hope that helps.

ohboy
Nova Fleet Two Commander
Nova Fleet Two Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Episodes and Site News