Hurricane Ike

Talk about what ever you want. Just keep it clean, kids might be in this forum.

Moderators: systemcat, ramoth

Hurricane Ike

Postby ramoth » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:38 pm

Hey all!

I know I've been AWOL for the past month or so but we had a visitor here in Houston that was not exactly welcome (what an understatement!) I live in NW Houston and, while we weren't hit as hard as Galveston, the Bolivar Peninsula and other areas south and east, we were the second hardest hit area. Luckily we are mostly okay! The only damage being the loss of some shingles over my youngest daughter's room allowing water in and causing the ceiling in her room to fall. We managed to get her stuff out, including her porcelain dolls and we are now in the process of repair. The roof is repaired and the contractor is starting to take down the walls and ceiling in the room in order to replace the wet drywall and insulation. The floor will also have to be replaced and the supports underneath checked for amount of water damage. And then the new "stuff" put in, new painting and new carpet! At least the rest of the house is okay. But it has been a rough month and worse for other people, some are still not back in their homes and some will not be allowed to rebuild, those who were closest to the beaches on Galveston and the peninsula. When I figure out how to send pictures to this forum I will share some of my daughter's room and the shingleless roof too! :)
Jimma
ramoth

Re: Hurricane Ike

Postby systemcat » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:36 am

ramoth wrote:Hey all!

I know I've been AWOL for the past month or so but we had a visitor here in Houston that was not exactly welcome (what an understatement!) I live in NW Houston and, while we weren't hit as hard as Galveston, the Bolivar Peninsula and other areas south and east, we were the second hardest hit area. Luckily we are mostly okay! The only damage being the loss of some shingles over my youngest daughter's room allowing water in and causing the ceiling in her room to fall. We managed to get her stuff out, including her porcelain dolls and we are now in the process of repair. The roof is repaired and the contractor is starting to take down the walls and ceiling in the room in order to replace the wet drywall and insulation. The floor will also have to be replaced and the supports underneath checked for amount of water damage. And then the new "stuff" put in, new painting and new carpet! At least the rest of the house is okay. But it has been a rough month and worse for other people, some are still not back in their homes and some will not be allowed to rebuild, those who were closest to the beaches on Galveston and the peninsula. When I figure out how to send pictures to this forum I will share some of my daughter's room and the shingleless roof too! :)

Major bummer :(. The pictures. You could scan them into your computer, resize them if need be. Put them in a photo storage site like Photobucket or some thing like that then use the code meant for forums. Typically the code starts and ends like this "[ img] [/ img] ". <had to change it for posting>

The closest I've ever been to a hurricane was a mile to three miles away back in '97. Family vacation to the beach with words my dad will never live down. "Every body in the tent!" ...The camp community bathroom was made out of concrete which is where my mom, brother and myself wanted to stay during the storm. Real fun having a tent collapse on you, having it's bottom fill with water and feeling rain through the tent hit you like nails :? .

Erin :cat:
systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ohboy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:20 pm

I hope everything turns out alright. I'm lucky where I'm at that California doesn't really get hurricanes. Fires are bad, no doubt about it, but at least they can be extinguished by man. I have yet to see anyone stop a hurricane.
"Wahahahaha! Ladies and gentlemen, your attention. please. The name's Wily! The one and only -- the brilliant scientist, Dr. Wily! It may seem rather sudden to you, but I've decided I'd like to take over the world! (Laughs) Ahem! Anyway, to begin... Dr. Light! I'll be taking your precious robots!!" - in the beginning of Mega Man: Powered Up (Quote from Wikipedia)

Breath of Fire III is a registered trademark of Capcom. Picture from rpgdreamer.com. Thanks to fellow member jerriecan for editing picture to fix the pixel requirements for the avatar.
ohboy
Nova Fleet Two Commander
Nova Fleet Two Commander

Re: Hurricane Ike

Postby ramoth » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:54 am

Thanks! The pictures are digital and already on my computer hard drive but not in a web based site. That's okay! They just look like a room with the ceiling and insulation all over everything! :)
Jimma
ramoth

Return to General Chat