Starfest '08

Talk about other science fiction and fantasy.

Moderators: systemcat, ramoth

Postby systemcat » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:41 am

Day before the convention

I arrived at the Baker Street Tavern about 15 minutes before people were really meant to come for this get together before the con. . ..Have a bit of a history of getting lost in the Tech. Center so I thought I'd leave early for this.

This is a shot from the parking lot showing a little of the Tech. Center.

Shots of the Baker Street Tavern from the outside.

Well everybody was supposed to be meeting up at 7;30 here ..it wasn't until a few minutes after that everybody came.
I'd say it might have been close to or over a half an hour for the employees of the Tavern to find a place for us all to sit. The place was packed! If that is the norm. on Thursdays thank goodness this didn't take place on a Friday.

Heres one ceiling close to the main door.

Heres waiting at one point to be seated.

Loud is the best descriptive word I can use for the inside to this place aside from being nicely decorated. I had to leave after the band played it's second song. Felt if I stayed any longer I'd have sever hearing loss in both ears. Food was good though and had some nice conversations. Got to talk with a guy who did some of the amazing art work I saw last year at the art contest.

Heres some shots of the band that played. Their manager is also the manager of Horrorfest.

And a picture I just had to take on my way out. The artist in me, I just had to do it :).

Erin :cat:
systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ladyfreebird » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:40 am

I hope you had a a nice time?

graylady :articuno:
ladyfreebird
Fighter Falcon
Fighter Falcon

Postby systemcat » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:10 am

Aside from my ear drums nearly getting blown out, ya :). Although I think things would have gone better if all of us had this get together stay outside. True all of us would have frozen our butts off but at least seating wouldn't have been an issue and we could have heard each other better.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:03 am

systemcat wrote:Aside from my ear drums nearly getting blown out, ya :).

Back when I used to hit the clubs on a somewhat regular basis, I used to stuff cotton in my ears- I wasn't really engaging in conversations, and I could still hear if I leaned in close to whoever was speaking. The cotton muffled the sound and prevented my ears from ringing hours later. :)
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:29 am

Great time! I'm going to keep this short tonight since I need to wake up early tomorrow morning, but trust me a full detailed report will be given later.

Photos and video will be given of the event. Edited video in one case due to a woman who ran by the camera at one point. Nana Visitor has a wonderful voice, I wish there was a CD for sale of her performance this evening. She didn't want any photos or video taken at her performance aside from what was done by the Starfest staff. Sorry guys but I didn't want to break the rules on that. A neat cool fact I want to say about the performance ( more to be said later ) "Fly me to the Moon" was the first song she did. Trekscaper used that for one of his music videos and I later wrote it for that sake into episode 19 for Buck and Wilma dancing.

Two more things I'd like to say in this part of the report. "Light Years" wonderful old movie, that at last report hasn't been released yet to DVD. I found it ( DVD ). That movie is based off a novel by the same name done by Isaac Asimov. Also it was directed by Rene Laloux the creator of "Fantastic Planet". This movie has inspired more than one piece of art work that I've done.

Second and VERY COOL in my opinion, I met a fan of the 26th Century series!

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby systemcat » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:06 am

'K I made a video of the convention and more will follow it due to how much I shot. But at the moment theres a bit of a problem with uploading it to Photobucket and YouTube. These videos of the convention will hopefully get posted within the next few days. Also there are I think over or close to 200 photos I took at this ...it's going to take a while to convert their dimensions to being smaller and uploading them. Sorry guys :(.

Ok, parking wasn't as bad as it was last year thanks a million to the car having it's own spot in the lot due to the art contest. Made it to the convention ...hmmm, I just mixed Saturday with Friday [skepti] .

Friday the parking was hell and the convention hadn't even started yet. Got the final spot left on the lot in a corner.

Once in the hotel got the ticket exchanged for a ribbon to wear showing that I was a guest of the convention. Made it to the freebies table fast to give them the FC cards and books ..at first the guys at the table didn't believe me I had permission to put stuff down on their table, but I told them about how some staff had told me it was ok. Only the cards went on this table. The Star Trek books ( once more from the FC ) went on a different table once ..ha ha found. They flew right off the table, not even an hour had passed!

A lot of people cracked up at seeing a home made blaster I brought with me ..that lights up. Another art project a "Horse Dragon" made it into the art room of the bat. ..I don't remember this from last year, theres a fee for putting art on the tables. Fortunately I didn't have to pay it for this time. A guy for a while let me use his table for my work.

Gonna have to cut this short tonight but more will be posted tomorrow :).

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby systemcat » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:17 am

Here's a video from the convention. ..I'm sure some one else could have compiled the clips together differently into looking better. I think maybe 20 little videos were made during the convention. This is only from the first night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgUfy_BkrxQ

During that first day that light up blaster was on my side most of the night. Plus also that first day and last I had a rather large dragon pin riding on one shoulder ..no one during the whole convention got the reference when I told them it was "Pip".

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ladyfreebird » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:31 pm

I couldn't get it to play. It kept freezing up. It might be my computer.

ladyfreebird
Fighter Falcon
Fighter Falcon

Postby systemcat » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:50 pm

I'm going to group the photos together to categorize if large. This group is the art gallery Friday night :).

More of the report will be posted later :flower:

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby systemcat » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:18 pm

Nana Visitor's show after Fly me to the Moon.
She claimed she couldn't whistle and asked the crowd to do it for her as a chorus during a song ..some of us, my self included couldn't help but giggle during this as she sang, cued us and her husband Matthew Rimmer played the piano. Now Vistior said she and Matthew live by a 50's life style. They love to have over guests and entertain & feed them. Vistior one day got so carried away cutting up food with her brand new knife, when she cut off her own thumb she just kept on working on the food. Matthew came into the kitchen saw what she had done and had to insist to her they go to a hospital immediately to get it taken care of. The hospital actually gave her a paper that had a title along the lines of "So you've amputated yourself".

Most her songs were calm and at one point Matthew got to play a beautiful solo. Two songs how ever were "jumpy". One was titled some thing like "Cardboard Cup of Coffee," I'm going to try to find that one for download. And the other was one she'd written joking on DS9. Kira Nerys sitting in the captain's chair on the Defiant thinking about her life. Her song was the funnest joke on Star Trek lore I've ever heard.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby systemcat » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:11 am

Heres the second video of clips taken at the convention, did a better job on this one :biggrin: !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX0UiA1OdYo

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ladyfreebird » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:06 am

I got to see both of them this time. Great job. I know how hard it is to film something and have people walk right in front of you. Plus walking with a camcorder is a big pain.

ladyfreebird
Fighter Falcon
Fighter Falcon

Postby systemcat » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:50 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3-P9joadsw

Saturday morning of the convention I arrived around 40 some minutes before the day had even officially started for it. Big reason behind this being the car being in the art show and having my spot in the parking lot secured. I wasn't the only one who was a guest there that early. Almost nothing was set up for the day besides what had been put out the night before.

Shortly after nine I met up with my roommate; who after sending out a plea on the internet for a room I had to give her help. She introduced me to two of her friends and then I noticed thing some had grabbed their attention. I looked behind me and this took half a second to click in my head who was a few feet behind me watching us. Mike :cool: .

After the stock went away we started talking and started planning out the day looking at the an events list of what we could go to. The first one we went to was a joke on "Who's line is it any way?" put as "Who's Ship is it any way?". This goofed at all sci fi & fantasy put to inprov. .

After that lunch ...which I learned when walking to the restaurant I hated the heels I had decided to wear for my costume.

More will be posted later, but in the mean time heres the Costume photos :).

And those are just shots taken Friday night.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ladyfreebird » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:20 am

Cool pics Erin. Can't wait to see the pics of you and Mike. :-)

ladyfreebird
Fighter Falcon
Fighter Falcon

Postby systemcat » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:18 pm

Check out the videos Graylady :cool: .

This is the final set of video clips taken at the convention :).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlG8S_Q0Bws

Mike and I parted to go to different events. He went to Screenwriting 101 and I went to Anne Lockhart's Q&A session.

Her Q&A session mainly had a focus on her role of Sheba in the original Battlestar Galactica. It turns out not much was going on for her career at the time Glenn Larson first approached her with the idea of her on the show. Sheba's character was almost nonexistent and actually blended into the background of the show. Lockhart didn't want to play the character and told Larson she wanted Sheba to have a larger role in the series, she wanted Sheba to be a strong character. Larson went back & after rewriting the role approached Lockhart again with new script. This time she was pleased. It turns out Sheba was the first character ( female ) to ever on a regular basics be shown on a military role.

Anne said that during shooting the show little interesting things did happen on the set. During the episode where the warriors played in a sports tournament. Walking around the set it was hard not to laugh at the men walking around wearing speedios. When shooting the scene that showed the men being congratulated for the sport and the women standing shortly behind them. Just after the scene was over and the men started walking away, both ladies at the same time, gave those speedio wearing actors wedgies they'll never forget.

At one point when filming an episode Richard Hatch ( Apollo ). Was supposed to be leading a team of Vipers into battle. Now when filming was done for the original BSG, green screens had not come into being yet so actors and actresses really could see video projected on to the wall behind them. Hatch was sitting in the massive prop Viper acting off the remembered script when he looks to his side. While the prop Viper was facing one way and him with it. The video Vipers were facing & running in the opposite direction. Hatch had to give the screen a double take when he caught sight of this.

There was a line that had to be cut with very good reason from an episode one day. To quote the Devil "You have nothing to fear as long as I'm inside you." The actor who spoke this couldn't help cracking up when saying this and Lockhart couldn't keep a straight face when the line was said to her. The line was companied about but the producers didn't want to change it. Eventually it was cut out and changed after concerned people presented the script to a group in Hollywood involved with the moral of film.

When filming A Dream of Jennifer for Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. At either 11:20 or 11:30am something that she can't remember set off her, Gerard and two other actors into such fits of laugher that the filming was called off so every body could get lunch. The laughing was so bad one of the painted red faced actors was on the floor in the fetal position crying making white streaks through his makeup.

I asked the question of what role did she play in The Fifth Element. She'd done voice acting for the movie for more than one part in the movie. Shes also done voice acting for a bunch of other films. When talking about Project X she was cracking up. She had to audition for the part of making chimp noses. They rolled the film with no sound and listened to her hoot and holler like a chimp. A note I'd wondered about for a while that was answered here. Muffet Two had a chimp inside the costume.

Some thing Anne had fun with a few years ago. The USA Network wanted to bring back Lost in Space as a new TV series. They cast her into the series as the voice of Jupiter One without realizing who her mom was. She tried her best to sound like her mom so people would get the clue. The last voice acting project she did recently was for Disney for a coming animated movie named "Bolt".

If I'm remembering this correctly three or four generations of Lockharts have played in A Christmas Carol.

Last edited by systemcat on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Other Science Fiction and Fantasy