Starfest '08

Talk about other science fiction and fantasy.

Moderators: systemcat, ramoth

Postby ladyfreebird » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:38 pm

Thank you so much Erin for posting what happened at the "Star-fest"

I really enjoyed all 4 videos and the pics. You did a great job on your "Koori" costume.

graylady :articuno:
ladyfreebird
Fighter Falcon
Fighter Falcon

Postby systemcat » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks Graylady, although I think its a shame people didn't get to see the whole costume in the video. The high-heeled boots I was wearing took three layers of paint to become the shade of pink I wanted them to be.

The next event I went to was the Klingon Warrior's Tournament. This event was a LOT longer than I thought it was, either that or it was how much my chair hurt. It was fun to watch, like live Mortal Kobat. "Fight!". People versed each other in one on one fights and the winner of each fight got to fight later to narrow it down who'd be in the next round. It's a shame how poor the lighting was in the room. Last year I got to see the tail end of the event and didn't get the chance to take a picture of it. This year I had the chance true but that poor lighting kept me from shooting video. I sat on the floor for a while due to that chair and a kid went around collecting money for a charity, I gave money. Didn't stick around for the end of the Tournament and that lead to an event from last year repeating it's self this year.

Just as I was stepping out from the closed doors of the room for the Tournament. Adam Baldwin had just come into the same hallway to sit at his booth to sign autographs. I had a clear shot with my camera for this as can be shown in the final YouTube video. Last year this happened too that a star had just come out to sign as I was leaving this same room. Last year the star was Leonard Nimoy and I couldn't get a clear shot of him with my camera even though I was just as near to him as I was this year to Baldwin.

Erin :cat:
systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Hawkfan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi Erin,

It was fun watching those videos (even though they did make me feel a bit seasick at times ; -)

You had a nice costume; did you participate in the costume contest with it?

Mariet

PS: I love your car!!!
Hawkfan
Colonial Judge
Colonial Judge

Postby systemcat » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:19 am

Great to see you back Mariet. Yes I did enter the costume in the contest. On note to the car :cool: .

Mike and I talked & did a lot of walking around. Come the evening he had to leave for the night to visit a friend in the hospital. I went to the costume contest ...I wish I could have taped it, plus had sound during taping.

It took a while to find out where I should be in line due to it was much easier to see people in line competing in group rather than solo entries. A staff member had me line up behind ...I forget what his costume was supposed to be, all I know is it looked cool and more than once I feared his helmet poking one of my eyes out. The costume is shown in Starfest video 2. The solo entries showed off on stage before the groups and almost every body did some kind of performance. All of these were entertaining ..not sure how it's spelled but one person in the span of a minute said the whole of an Anime TV series. One guy dressed as Wolverine preformed like he was fighting. I felt I had to invent a performance for this, since it wasn't listed on my information card what I costume came from, while spinning my dress lightly around & walking on stage I shouted to the crowd," I died in the 25th century and now I'm in the 21st."

Once going back behind the stage it was time to sit, remember the heels? People could watch the performances viva a giant screen. When the groups came on ..well the next time I watch an episode of Stargate it might be hard to keep a straight face. A group of people dressed in SG-1 costumes performed on stage to Electric Ave. . If you didn't know what this was you'd swear it was the most messed up looking Chinese dragon you've ever seen. Another group dancing about on stage moving around in a Graboid costume. The winner of the group costume contest was a group who in theme did Night at the Museum. For the solo contest I believe the name of the entry was Blood Elf for that winner.

After the contest, yes true I was sitting for a while but my feet were still killing me. I went back to my hotel room for the night.

Photobucket doesn't seem to want to upload without freezing up today. Hopefully in the next post I can show you guys more costumes.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ladyfreebird » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:52 pm

Good to see you back on line Erin. :-) I checked my computer and I did send you 2 episodes.

The last one was "Seeker of the Searcher" I'm working on the last episode of season 1 now.

ladyfreebird
Fighter Falcon
Fighter Falcon

Postby systemcat » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:30 pm

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby systemcat » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:42 am

Around ten o'clock at night it hit me my room mate's roll out bed had not arrived so I called room service for it and set up the bed since the room mate was no where to be seen. I thought she was attending the Federation Ball and that at some odd hour of the night her entering the room would wake me up. No.

6:09 in the morning I wake to up realize I had never heard her come in. Looked around the room and still no sign of her. She's ten years younger than me, I half way felt I'd lost a kid I was supposed to babysit. It wasn't until nearly noon I discovered what had happened to her. She'd gone to an old friend's house and they never returned her to the hotel. But that aside ...

8am Mike and I met up again to take in "The Future of Literature: Collaboration and the Internet". ..It was a joke to any one used to the fan fic / VS area for this on the net. It was two guys trying to plug their latest online novel. However to get us in the quote un quote spirit of collaboration. They made us build towers out of spice drops and pasta. At least that was fun, Mike got spice drops as part of his breakfast, our tower won for being the prettiest and we got T-shirts boosting the two guys online novel.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby systemcat » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:43 pm

Guys the next pictures I want to put up are the celebrity pics. . There are a lot of repeats due to wanting to get a good shots. Do you guys want single shots or all?

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby systemcat » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:37 pm

Anne Lockhart

Nichelle Nichols

Cliff Simon

Julia Phillips and me

Last person's book

Scarlet Salem

The movie she was in.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ladyfreebird » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:20 am

Great pics Erin [ok] Thanks for sharing them with us. [tanz]

ladyfreebird
Fighter Falcon
Fighter Falcon

Postby systemcat » Fri May 02, 2008 10:14 am

Welcome 8)

Walking around by luck when going up stairs discovered the Scratch Build Spaceship Contest was still taking entries. I got in spot six on their list for ten people out of the whole convention.

This started up at 11:45 am and didn't end till ... hmm not to sure, but I believe this was meant to go on for three hours. I was the second person to finish their spaceship. How this worked was every contestant got two full model kits and was given access to a table and bin filled with random model parts. The goal was to make the most interesting spaceship out of these parts and to still some how use parts from the base kits given. The first place winner how ever wasn't a ship, it was a shrine. At one point when it was being worked on, one of the people doing it said they needed "more bodies". Gave them all the little plastic figures I had but odd I don't think they were ever used in the end on the model. My spaceship won second place. That fact of who the winners were wasn't revealed till I think around 2 or 3 pm.

Mike had to leave during this event due to that friend mentioned earlier having to be rushed to the hospital. She's ok now, it took two surgeries and I believe she's now recovering.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby systemcat » Mon May 05, 2008 6:29 pm

Random Collection One

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby systemcat » Tue May 06, 2008 10:49 pm

Went to the Q & A session for Cliff Simon ..and left after 15 minutes. I don't think I've ever seen a thing the guy has been in. Although for people that are interested he talked about an up coming Stargate movie that sounds like it's meant to be a crowd pleaser to fans of the franchise. Also I believe he talked about getting the opportunely to work on an autobiography of a man who set a sports record. Sorry that the details to this aren't very clear :(.

Towards the end of the day, the final event I went to was The New Detectives. This event was three authors talking about how they developed their lasted novels. It was really quite interesting to listen to. Sad that this time I had to leave. Every night of the convention staff had been closing up areas early and I feared losing my art work in the gallery if they packed up shop while I attended the event. The authors were Mario Acevedo, Warren Hammond and David Boop.

When picking up the two pieces on display in the gallery I waited till after the end of the convention for one of them. The Dragon-Horse had been marked on it's ID slip. I was told some one had bought it! ..It turns out some one had only bid on it ..strange thing it wasn't meant to be in the auction.

Random Collection Two

That's all folks :D!

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ladyfreebird » Wed May 07, 2008 6:22 am

Great pics Erin. I really like the one of the baby bunnies.

ladyfreebird
Fighter Falcon
Fighter Falcon

Previous

Return to Other Science Fiction and Fantasy