The Black Hole (1979)

Talk about other science fiction and fantasy.

Moderators: systemcat, ramoth

The Black Hole (1979)

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:46 pm

Anyone else a fan of this movie? I know it's a bit dated, has a few hokey elements and scientific inaccuracies, but I love it all just the same- partly from sentimentality, but also from being able to appreciate how much fun Maximillian Schell was having playing the villain. :biggrin:
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:57 am

That's one of the first movies I ever bought, great film :happy1: ! I've brought up the movie more than once in the Star-Port to graylady and when scifisite asked staff about which movies to make caps for ...well hopefully you'll see this some day :wink: . At one point when designing a robot for the 26th Century series I was thinking about that movie for inspiration.

Erin :cat:
systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:20 pm

systemcat wrote:when scifisite asked staff about which movies to make caps for ...well hopefully you'll see this some day :wink:

You need Black Hole avatars for the forum? Heck, I can make a few of those, if you have space to store 'em.
8)

Almost forgot... John Barry did a breathtaking score for this film- too bad a soundtrack was never released, as far as I know.
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby ladyfreebird » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:43 pm

Yeah, I remember seeing that movie. I really liked it.

graylady :articuno:
ladyfreebird
Fighter Falcon
Fighter Falcon

Postby systemcat » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:14 am

I can't add avatars to this forum or smilies for that matter :( but I could hand them over to scifisite if you want to do this :thumbleft: , I have an FTP folder there.

You right about the music and in fact I don't think this happens on the full screen side of the disk but on the wide screen side you get an extra I think two or three minutes in the beginning that's nothing but music :cool: ... oh ya and star field but nothing else. The movie also has a novel adaption done by Alan Dean Foster that has some extra content in it. Speaking of all this extra content, once just for the hell of it I looked up the movie on RottenTomatoes.com, I think it stated there's been five or four releases to DVD for this film. Due to a bit of a lack of bonus features (I've noticed Disney movies tend to have a lot ) for the copy I have. Does your copy have more than the movie's trailer and photo gallery, HP?

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:32 pm

systemcat wrote:I can't add avatars to this forum or smilies for that matter :( but I could hand them over to scifisite if you want to do this :thumbleft: , I have an FTP folder there.

Let me throw together a few avatars this weekend, it shouldn't take too long. Any size restrictions? 100x100 pixels okay?

My copy sounds identical to yours, with the musical overture & the photo gallery. A few years back there was a deluxe VHS (yuck) edition that came in a large tin box, supposedly with a booklet & a few other printed extras. I refused to buy it because I believed there would be a decent DVD soon. I'm still waiting... :sad11:

Back around 1996, Disney announced it was going to release Special Edition laserdiscs of both Tron & The Black Hole, but only Tron was released...

...actually, that's a story by itself. I'll save it for the "old video formats" table!

Oh, and I have that Alan Dean Foster novelisation of the film (in book form- my DVD doesn't have it)- a fantastic read that I must have re-read countless times. :biggrin:
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:45 pm

I'll ask at scifisite about the avatar size. Also have that novel version of the movie, didn't even know it was out there till I saw it in a GoodWill for two dollars 8) .

As to Black Hole and Tron, yes I know you stated this in the other topic. I also have that special edition for Tron :happy2: . Did you catch that extra in Tron about how Black Hole is linked to it, besides early CG animation :alien: ?

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:52 pm

systemcat wrote: Did you catch that extra in Tron about how Black Hole is linked to it, besides early CG animation

It's been while since I watched the disc, but if you're referring to the Cygnus sentry-guard costumes they used for early outfit tests, I knew about that from an old book titled, "The Art of Tron". (I've held on to some of my books from decades ago- I don't regret any of it.) :)
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:39 am

Didn't know about that or the book. The extra goes about a short film being made to test the backlit look for the film, once more it's the same Cygnus sentry-guard costumes being used.

This is from MAC ...

We use 150 X130. But they can be smaller. If he wants us to add frame then it has to be 150X130 and don't forget that the right corner of frame takes up a bit of the pic's.

But no problem adding them here, and Black Hole was a awesome movie.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:06 am

Not sure what he means by "add frame", but here's what I came up with:

Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby systemcat » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:03 am

Almost forgot... John Barry did a breathtaking score for this film- too bad a soundtrack was never released, as far as I know.

Completely forgot about this, I saw it in an antique store a year ago. There was a sound track released to the movie on record. I didn't buy it cause I was only window shopping and didn't have the money for it.

systemcat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:07 pm

systemcat wrote:There was a sound track released to the movie on record. I didn't buy it cause I was only window shopping and didn't have the money for it.

I wonder if it'd be worth tracking that down on Ebay and transferring it to CD. I'm not big on all those pops & crackles, but I don't see this being released any time soon, if ever...
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby QL Damsel » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:26 am

This movie creeped me out when I first saw it. I can watch it now and kinda giggle over my "fear" of it, but it was a good movie. :)

I recently saw anothe rmovie that I liked and it kinda did me the same way... Legends.
~*~*~ MJ ~*~*~
QL Damsel
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Herculean Platypus! » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:07 pm

QL Damsel wrote:I recently saw anothe rmovie that I liked and it kinda did me the same way... Legends.

That's another one I still haven't been able to get to. A buddy of mine has it on DVD, except the disc contains two versions, each with a completely different musical score. (One has Tangerine Dream, the other has Jerry Goldsmith, I believe.)

I'm not sure which version I should watch if I end up watching only one version- music in a movie can be critical! :scratch:
Herculean Platypus!
Admiral
Admiral

Postby QL Damsel » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:52 pm

We watched the directors cut. We got it through Netflix. I thought that the cut was great! I'm sorry though, I didn't listen to the music, was too envolved eating pizza and just enjoying the movie.
~*~*~ MJ ~*~*~
QL Damsel
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Other Science Fiction and Fantasy